Our guest speaker at Tuesday’s meeting was Jared Deimund, an Account Executive specializing in Public and Political Affairs from Saxum in Oklahoma City. Deimund graduated from our very own Gaylord College in 2016 with a public relations degree, so we were so excited to hear about the work he has done.
Diemund’s three main clients at Saxum are the Oklahoma Beer Alliance, Oklahoma’s For Criminal Justice Reform and the Oklahoma Lottery. His main focuses at the meeting Tuesday were how to choose between a small and large agency and the transition from college to the business world. He gave us these 5 tips to think about when trying to decide where you want to work:
1. Location- Where do you want to be?
2. What kind of culture do you crave?
3. Who are you going to be working with or for?
4. What kind of work do you want to do? In five years? In ten years?
5. Do I see this agency as a place I want to be for a while or simply as a stepping stone?
Along with this advice, Diemund also spoke about his experience transitioning from college to the business world and gave these 5 tips:
1. Relax. You’re not expected to be the CEO already.
2. First three months are vital
3. Be excited to learn.
4. Work is work.
5. Have fun.
So, whether you are transitioning into the business world, college or somewhere in between, Diemund’s advice is very helpful and, as always, it is good to hear from another successful Gaylord graduate.